The Van Life Cookbook: Simple Strawberry Shortcakes [Bonus Recipe]
- Cooking /
Fast and easy recipes are perfect for van life and beyond. They work in a dorm, in a vacation rental, or anywhere you want to make a meal, without a lot to clean up afterwards. Simple doesn’t have to be boring. Use The Van Life Cookbook as a template to inspire lots of vibrant healthy creations that enhance all of your adventures. Try this bonus Simple Strawberry Shortcakes recipe.
Simple Strawberry Shortcakes
This recipe is a combination of biscuits and coconut cream with strawberries. Feel free to sprinkle a little coconut sugar on top for added texture.
Makes: 3 to 6 servings | Cook Time: 15 minutes
For the biscuits:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons Nutiva shortening or coconut oil, divided
- ½ cup oat milk
For the whipped coconut cream:
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Combine the flour, baking powder, and sea salt in a mixing bowl.
2. Cut in 2 tablespoons of the shortening or oil with a fork.
3. Mix in the oat milk to form a dough.
4. Divide the dough into 6 pieces.
5. Make flattened rounds out of each piece of dough.
6. Place the remaining 1 tablespoon of shortening or oil in a fry pan over medium-high heat.
7. Put the biscuits into the pan and cover with a lid.
8. Cook for 5 minutes. The side on the pan will be brown.
9. Flip each biscuit and cook for another 5 minutes.
10. Allow the hot biscuits to cool on paper towels for a few minutes before cutting and inserting strawberries and coconut cream.
11. Using the whisk attachment to an immersion (or other) blender. Whip the ingredients together for approximately five minutes. The volume with double and the cream will be lighter and airy.
12. Cut each biscuit in half and fill with the cream and some strawberries to taste.
-Susan Marque, author of The Van Life Cookbook
Get cooking in your sprinter van, camper van, or RV with creative recipes especially crafted for making meals in tight spaces! You’ve finally finished your van build and are ready to hit the road. The Van Life Cookbook, a first of its kind collection of recipes and full-color photographs, celebrates the #vanlife community and lifestyleLearn more