“Just the Tip” Tri-Tip Steak Recipe
- Book Sample /
This recipe is from Jerkin It. Grab a copy of the book here!
This is my go-to recipe to impress a date when we decide to stay in and cook together. I don’t always cook for my dates, but when I do I turn to my trusty, no-fail, and guaranteed-to-get-you-laid tri-tip steak. When grilled to juicy, medium perfection, the dish will serve as a teaser to the main entrée of your evening.
Pro Tip: Serve with a lighter side, like a salad or grilled vegetables, so you don’t end up being your own cock block.
Grill: Any grill | Prep Time: 5 minutes | Chill Time: Overnight | Cook Time: 8 to 12 minutes | Makes: 4 steaks
- 1½ to 2½ pounds triangle roast
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large handful of fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 green onions or additional fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
1. Rinse the roast and pat it dry with a paper towel, then place it in a one-gallon ziplock bag.
2. Add the four liquid ingredients to the bag, followed by the four dried seasonings, and finally the garlic and cilantro leaves.
3. Seal the bag and passionately shake it until the meat is smothered in juices. Reopen the bag to release the air, then, reseal the bag and let the meat rest and cool down in the refrigerator overnight.
4. Preheat the grill to high. If using a charcoal grill, let the charcoal burn for about 10 minutes, until covered with white-gray ash to reach high heat.
5. Pat the roast lightly with a paper towel and place it on the open flames. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes on each side.
6. Remove the roast from the heat and let rest for 2 to 3 minutes.
7. Where the grain meets, slice the tri-tips against the grain.
8. Garnish with green onions or additional fresh cilantro.
9. Serve immediately and watch your date enjoy their first taste of your meat.
Become a moist meat master with this giggle-inducing (and actually delicious) cookbook packed, until bursting, with 50 grilling favorites you can fork with. Stop jerkin’ it in private, it’s time to get off the couch and start sharing your meat with everyone. This Kama Sutra of cookbooks is overstuffed with the important BBQLearn more