CATAN®–The Official Cookbook Reveal: Lamb Bolognese
- Book Sample /
Welcome, adventurers! Get ready to upgrade game-night with the first-ever official CATAN® cookbook. This cookbook gives longtime and beginning players the chance to bring their favorite game to life through food. From game (k)night snacks to celebratory drinks, this cookbook has the recipe for you!
To celebrate the launch of the book, we’re giving you a first look at one of the recipes. Enjoy this delicious Lamb Bolognese recipe to get you ready for your adventure!
Lamb Bolognese from CATAN® – The Official Cookbook
A savory pasta dish with rustic vibes, this Lamb Bolognese is the perfect meal to set the mood for a cozy night. It’s fairly easy to prepare, loaded with lamb, veggies, and cheese, and the active work time is just 15 minutes. And for that intriguing flavor touch, it uses freshly ground nutmeg to really send your taste buds into new worlds.
Serves: 4 to 6 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 2½ to 3½ hours
2 tablespoons butter
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1½ pounds ground lamb
freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 cups whole milk
1 whole nutmeg clove, or a pinch of ground nutmeg
1½ cups dry white wine
1 (28-ounce) can plum tomatoes, with their juices, hand crushed
pasta, for serving
1 (4-ounce) block Pecorino Romano
flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped, for serving
sea salt, to taste
1. Melt the butter in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Cook the onion, celery, and carrot for 2 to 3 minutes, until beginning to soften.
2. Add the ground lamb and season generously with salt and pepper. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add the milk and continue cooking for another 5 minutes, or until it has cooked down almost completely.
4. Use a Microplane grater to add a few gratings of fresh nutmeg. Or, if using pre-ground nutmeg, add just a pinch.
5. Add the white wine, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Again, cook for about 5 minutes or until the wine has all but cooked down completely. Stir in the tomatoes and bring to a gentle simmer for 2 to 3 hours, adding a splash of water here and there as needed to keep the sauce from drying out.
6. Toss with cooked pasta and top with shavings of Pecorino Romano and fresh parsley.
Gather your friends, family, and other players and get ready to cook and eat your way through the CATAN®– The Official Cookbook.
**Ulysses Holiday Store: Save 35% when using code HOLIDAY23 at checkout** Embark on a culinary adventure with the first-ever official CATAN® cookbook–the perfect companion to your next game night. Welcome, adventurers! The hexes of CATAN lie before you. The promise of abundant resources, development cards, and victory points are close atLearn more