Food questions answered with colorful graphics and fun, easy-to-understand scientific explanations
- Why does bacon smell so good?
- Why do onions make you cry?
- Can mixing drinks worsen your hangover?
- Why does cilantro taste soapy to some people?
- How do energy drinks work?
- Why is chocolate poisonous to dogs?
- Why does red wine improve with age?
The answers to these questions and many more are revealed in this compendium of the hidden science behind everyday food and drinks. Even if you have little or no scientific background, you will love this collection of trivia. Why Does Asparagus Make Your Pee Smell? informs as it entertains with visually orientated, fascinating explanations of common food phenomena. Author Andy Brunning proceeds step-by-step through the chemistry and biology with friendly easy-to-understand explanations, including illustrations of chemical structures, history and statistics to make the scientific concepts both accessible and enjoyable.