Steak Fajita Bowl
Steak Fajita Bowl
One of my closest friends is from Mexico and shared her method for making flank steak tacos with me. They’re best done on an outdoor grill, but when we first made them together, the weather was cold (by California standards) and I didn’t really feel like cooking outside. Instead, we used a cast-iron skillet, which worked beautifully and inspired me to make fajita bowls from the same recipe.
YIELD: 4 servings | PREP TIME: 5 minutes | COOK TIME: 10 minutes
- 1½ pounds flank steak
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- kosher salt
- 2 bell peppers, any colors, cored, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup Guacamole (Keto Bowls, page 104) or store-bought guacamole
- ½ cup spicy salsa shredded lettuce, optional
1. Coat the steak in 1 teaspoon of the olive oil, chile powder, paprika, and a generous pinch of salt. Set aside.
2. Heat a cast-iron skillet over high heat. When it’s hot, sear the flank steak for 2 minutes on each side, or until browned and nearly cooked through. Transfer to a cutting board to rest. You may have to do this in two batches if your steaks are very thin.
3. While the steak rests, add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the skillet and then add the peppers and onion. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. The vegetables will pick up some of the color from the spices used for the steak.
4. Slice the steak very thinly and divide between serving bowls. Add the vegetables and lettuce. Top with the guacamole and salsa. Garnish with shredded lettuce, if desired.
COOKING TIP: The best salsa for this recipe is salsa morita with tomatillos. A salsa verde is a good substitute, but it lacks the smoky quality of the morita chiles.
NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES: 479 TOTAL FAT: 30g PROTEIN: 38g CARBOHYDRATES: 14g FIBER: 5g NET CARBS: 9g
Keeping up with ketosis has never been easier, with these build-your-own superfood bowls for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Find out how easy, satisfying, and delicious your ketogenic diet can be with 50 recipes created for the bowl. The perfectly balanced, plentiful, and wholesome bowls make keto meal prep incredibly fast while offeringLearn more