Citrus Pumpkin Pancakes for the Anti-Anxiety Diet
- Cooking /
Although technically a starchy vegetable, pumpkin is a keto-friendly way to deliver mood-stabilizing amino acids as well as the electrolytes potassium and magnesium. This recipe provides a rich source of antioxidants, including vitamin E and vitamin A, all while balancing out the carbs with soluble fiber and blunting the blood sugar impact from the fats found in nut butters and almond flour. Pairing pumpkin with an additional antioxidant boost of orange zest gives a light, bright flavor and emulates sweet without the addition of maple syrup.
Makes: 4 (2-pancake) servings | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 5 minutes
- ½ cup cooked pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 orange segments
- 4 teaspoons orange zest, divided (from about 1 large orange)
- 3 tablespoons cashew butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter
- 1½ tablespoons collagen peptides
- ⅛ cup almond flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 to 6 teaspoons avocado oil, divided 4 tablespoons coconut cream
1. In a blender, combine everything but the avocado oil and coconut cream, and blend on high for 45 seconds.
2. Heat a 10- to 12-inch cast-iron skillet or stainless-steel pan and add 2 teaspoons of avocado oil to the pan. Allow it to heat rapidly for 30 to 45 seconds, then reduce the heat to medium.
3. Slowly pour the batter into the pan to make 3 to 4 pancakes, about ⅛ cup batter per pancake. Once tiny bubbles start to form, 1½ to 2 minutes, flip the pancakes and cook for 1½ to 2 minutes more. Remove from the pan and continue until all the batter is gone, adding avocado oil to the pan at the start of each new batch. You may have 2 to 3 batches depending on the size of the pancakes and the pan.
4. As the pancakes are cooking, mix together the coconut cream and remaining 2 teaspoons orange zest in a small bowl. Dollop on pancakes when ready to serve.
Nutrition facts per serving
Calories: 315 | Carbohydrates: 12g | Fiber: 5g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 25g
Make meals that soothe, nourish, and satisfy all at once! You probably already know that the foods you eat can alter your brain chemistry and, in turn, affect your moods and emotions. But how can you take control of the process instead of having it control you? The Anti-Anxiety Diet Cookbook features over 75 tasty recipes that willLearn more