Chicken Tortillas Recipe from The Griddle Cookbook
- Cooking /
Prep Time: 45 minutes | Marinate Time: 3 hours | Cook Time: 10 minutes | Serves: 4
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 chile pepper, sliced
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken
- thighs, cut into very small cubes
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons olive
- oil, for cooking
For the tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 packet yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup lard or 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2/3 cup hot water
For the salsa
- 4 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- salt, to taste
1. Prepare the garnish. Mix the garlic, onion, and chile in a bowl with the chicken. Add the lime juice, cumin, oregano, and bay leaf. Let marinate for 3 hours in the refrigerator.
2. Make the tortillas. In a bowl, combine the flour, yeast, salt, sugar, oil, and hot water. Work the dough for 5 minutes until it is smooth. Cover and let stand for 1 hour in a warm place.
3. Prepare the salsa. Mix the tomatoes, onion, and cilantro in a large bowl, then add the lime juice and salt. Set aside.
4. Divide the dough into 4 balls. Divide each ball in half to make 8 balls. Roll each of these out with a little flour to form 6-inch discs.
5. Preheat the griddle to medium heat. Cook the tortillas with a little lard or olive oil for 1 minute on the first side and 30 seconds on the second, then set aside. Cook the chicken at high heat in olive oil for 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
6. To serve, garnish the tortillas with the chicken and salsa.
You can add sliced avocado or grated cheddar cheese to the freshly cooked meat.
Experience the art of flat-top grilling with more than 40 flavor-packed recipes from around the world that you can master with the cast-iron griddle in your kitchen or the outdoor griddle in your backyard. Become a true grilling master with this cookbook that will teach you everything you need to know about flat-top grilling. The GriddleLearn more